Top 3 Methods to Enable Gzip Compression in WordPress
Why Should We Enable Gzip Compression?
There are several benefits to enable Gzip compression because it’s the most popular method to load your site faster by reducing more than 70% page size of your blog. However, now-a-days most of the sites are using Gzip compression across the web. Gzip will load your site in just a few seconds.
- Search more likely prefer you in search results
- Your server will no longer get large server requests to process
- 1000 KB page size will converted into 100KB
Time to time there have been developed several resources to enable Gzip for WordPress sites. There are 3 methods to enable Gzip compression in WordPress following are these:
1. Enable Gzip using Existing (Maybe not) WordPress plugin W3 Total Cache
The most popular plugin (W3 Total Cache) which have a great role in improving your WordPress site performance, it also let you Gzip your site (To enable Gzip compression using w3 total cache, go to Performance > Browser Cache).
2. Enable Gzip Compression via .htaccess
Gzipping an easy way to reduce weight per page of your site. You can enable Gzip compression by adding the following code to your .htaccess file:
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
AddType x-font/otf .otf
AddType x-font/ttf .ttf
AddType x-font/eot .eot
AddType x-font/woff .woff
AddType image/x-icon .ico
AddType image/png .png
Don’t know how to edit .htaccess file directly from WordPress dashboard, click here.
3. WP HTTP Compression Plugin
This plugin allows you to output the pages in Gzip compressed format. HTTP compression generally means a 60-80% reduction in the size of your pages. Follow these steps to enable Gzip for WordPress:
1. Download, install and activate WP HTTP Compression
2. There is no settings page by this plugin because it works automatically, further see if your site is working after the installment of this plugin here = IS MY SITE WORKING.